Create Movies, Animations, and Collages
Another thing you’ll see in your Memories carousel is “creations”. These are animations, collages, movies, and re-colored images.
You can choose to save these automatic creations, ignore them, or delete them. To save creations from your Memories carousel, select “Save” at the bottom of the creation. They will then appear with the rest of your photos in the Photo tab.
You can also make your own creations such as an animation, collage, or movie.
Make Your Own Albums, Collages, Animations, and Movies
Making your own creations is simple:
- At the bottom of the Google Photos app, tap Library and then Utilities.
- At the bottom, find options to create an Animation, Collage, or Movie.
How to Make a Movie on Google Photos
A movie is just one of the creations available on Google Photos. It’s a great way to put a collection of photos together.
This is best done on a phone or tablet. You can do it on a computer but the computer version only allows you to create a movie from one of the pre-set themes shown below. These templates may not be what you’re after.
To make a movie on your Google Photos app on your phone or tablet, tap Library and then Utilities.
From here, you’ll select Movie and then Create movie.
You’ll be prompted to choose your photos or video clips (up to 50). You can then customize your creation by choosing your music and a variety of filters.
When you’re done, there are lots of sharing options. You can share your completed video with friends, save it to your device, publish it on social media, add it to your Google Drive, or share it to a service like YouTube.
Check out these instructions from Google for step-by-step directions.
How to Make a Creation with Selected Images
Instead of choosing your creation and then choosing your photos, you can also choose your photos first and then make a creation out of them (album, movie, animation, or collage).
This is how you do that:
1. Search for your images, or browse through your images in the Photo tab of your app.
2. Press hard on a photo you want to add to your creation. This selects the photo and opens up the select box.
3. Select all the photos you want to add to your creation then tap on the + sign.
4. This launches the creation tools page. Select what you want to create from the list of Create new options. Then follow the prompts to complete your creation.
Google Photos creations can be used in so many different ways! You could share memories of learning or excursions on your class blog. Or perhaps you’d like to make a special video for a friend or family member. The possibilities are endless.
Here’s an example of a movie created from photos.
Google Photos Albums
Google Photos uses its complex image processing techniques to automatically group photos together into Albums.
Tap on Library > Albums on your Google Photos app. Or, go to https://photos.google.com/albums on the web.
On the web, the automatically created albums are grouped at the top of the page and the albums you’ve created are displayed below.
How to Make Your Own Albums and Add Text
Albums are a great way to organize your photos and you can share them with others if you wish. You can also add text to your albums with a personal caption or description to remember the details of your image.
This is how you create an album with text captions in Google Photos:
1. Search for your images, or browse through your images in the Photo tab.
2. Press hard on the photos you want to add to your album. This selects the photo and opens up the select box.
3. Tap on the + sign and then choose Album.
4. Replace Untitled with your title.
5. Tap on the Add Text icon (Tt) to add a text box to your album.
6. Add your text.
7. You can add as many text boxes to your album as needed and change the order of text boxes and photos.
Press hard on the text box or photo you want to move to another location in your album then drag/drop to the new location.
8. Tap on the Save icon when you’ve finished editing your album.
You can open up an album to add more photos, delete photos, or add more text by tapping on the More link
and then tap on Edit album.
How to Share Your Google Photos Albums with Others
While albums are private by default, they can be great to share with family or friends. When you share an album with someone, they won’t be able to see all the photos in your Google Photos account — just the contents of the album.
This is how you share a Google Photos album with others:
1. Tap on the Share icon inside your album.
2. This launches the share options.
👉 I usually share using the Get Link option as you can easily put this in an email, a message, or on social media.
Here is one of my shared Google Photos albums with text added so you can see what it looks like.
Google Lens is image recognition software designed to bring up relevant information using visual analysis.
When you view a photo in your Google Photos app on your mobile device, you’ll see a Google Lens icon.
Tapping on the Google lens icon makes the scanning dots appear on your picture and then Google will serve up suggestions.
Googles Lens suggests my photo is most likely a photo of a whippet.
Tapping on whippet launches the result in Google Chrome.
I’ve demonstrated how easy it is to identify objects using Google Lens but it is much more.
Google Lens is a fast free solution for reading and understanding information within images. The latest version of Google Lens has five modes:
- Auto: Lens automatically provides relevant search results based on the image it sees.
- Translate: Point at text and Lens provides a translation on top of the original words.
- Text: Point Lens at the text you want to copy. You can even copy text from paper to your laptop.
- Shopping: Point Lens at an item that you would like to find in a store or scan the barcode.
- Dining: Scan a menu and Lens can highlight which dishes are popular, provide reviews, or tell you more about a particular dish if you tap on the text. You can also scan your receipt to get Lens to calculate the tip and split the bill.
Refer to our Beginner’s Guide to Google Lens to learn more.
Google Photos, Storage and Space
Some people wonder if Google Photos really is free. The answer is yes! There has to be some catch of course and with Google Photos you get unlimited free storage but your images will be compressed slightly.
Google will compress your images to 16MP resolution and your videos to 1080p. The compression really doesn’t make a difference for your everyday viewing and backup needs. If you want to store some images and videos in full resolution you can but this counts towards your 15GB limit of storage that you have for all your Google products (Google Photos, Gmail and Google Drive).
👉 If you’re running out of your 15GB of storage, check this help guide to find out how to clean up your Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Photos account.
If you end up wanting to purchase more storage you’d go to Photo settings > Backup & Sync > Buy storage in the Google Photos app. Here in Australia it is 100GB for $2.99/month. I don’t purchase additional storage for Google Photos as I find the unlimited “high quality” to be just fine.
Check to make sure your photos and videos are being stored in Google Photos as “high quality” (which is the unlimited free option):
- In your Google Photos app tap your account profile photo or initial in the top right.
- Select Photos settings > Settings > Back up & sync.
- Select High quality or Original quality
How to Free Up Space On Your Phone
Many people find that one of the biggest advantages of Google Photos is freeing up space on your phone. No more frustrating “storage full” messages just as you’re about to capture a precious moment in time.
Once your photos are backed up in Google Photos, you can free up space on your phone by going into Photo settings in your Google Photos app > Manage device storage > Free up space.
You’ll then get a pop up telling you how many items can be deleted from your phone. Remember, you’ll still be able to access these photos at any time via Google Photos. They’ll just be gone from your phone’s camera roll.
Reversing The Process: Download Images To Your Device Or Computer
If you delete images from your phone but want them back again, downloading from Google Photos is straightforward.
How to Download Images from Google Photos on Your Phone or Tablet
Open your Google Photos app and follow these steps:
- Open the Google Photos App.
- Tap on the image (or select multiple images) that you want to download.
- Press on the triple dots on the top right.
- Tap on download or Save to device. If the photo is already on your device, this option won’t appear.
- The image will be saved in your camera roll.
How to Download Images From Google Photos on Your Computer
You can do the same on your computer with the web version of Google Photos:
- Go to https://photos.google.com
- Click on the photo you want to download.
- Click on the three dots.
- Click download.