I absolutely love being given challenges. So was totally pleased when Alice Mercer sent me a message in twitter asking how to write blog posts to her Edublogs blog using her mobile phone. Fortunately I had lots of ideas on “how to” but I hadn’t gotten around to testing them.
My first thought was posterous.com because it can be used with any mobile device provided you can write and send emails.
All you have to do is:
- Set up an account at posterous.com
- Next link all the accounts you want to post to automatically when you send an email to posterous. For example you can set it to automatically post to your blog, Flickr, Twitter and Tumblr.
- Now whenever you write an email on your mobile phone and send it to post.posterous.com the contents of the email are immediately posted to all sites you linked to your posterous account.
- Alternatively you can control where it is posted to by altering the email address. For example emails sent to [email protected] will post the contents to your blog while [email protected] will post to your flickr account.
- You can also attach photos, Doc, PDF, mp3, PPT with your text and it will be inserted into your blog post.
Here is a post I wrote using Posterous with a photo attached while I waited for my son to finish guitar practice. Apparently if I had used the correct URL it would have changed them to links — I will have to try that next time. Obviously it can’t add tags or categories so you would need to add these later.
WordPress For iPhone
Now if you have an iPhone or iTouch I would recommend you use WordPress for iPhone which you can download for free from the App Store. This application provides more editing control plus you can add tags and categories to posts. Watch this video to check it out in more detail.
There are quite a few tools that you can use for writing and/or creating audio posts using mobile devices. Would love to hear more about the one(s) you’ve tried and whether you liked/disliked using them.
If you are enjoying reading this blog, please consider Subscribing For Free!