Google Calendar is a free web-based calendar which you can use for keeping track of important events in one place from any computer or mobile device anywhere.
You create several calendars for different uses in the same Google Calendar and for each calendar you can choose to:
- keep private
- share with friends via email
- make public so others can subscribe.
For example you could create a personal calendar which you keep private (not viewable by others) and a school calendar that you share with family, parents and students.
You can also sync between other calendars such as Outlook, iCal, your iPhone, tablet or embed it in blogs and web pages.
Google Calendars also excellent for coordinating online meet up for global projects or connecting with classes in other countries because it automatically converts the time to your time zone when you subscribe to the calendar.
Check out how Google Calender converts the times by subscribing to Classroom 2.0 Live Conversations calendar.
Example of a Google Calendar
Here’s how to set up a Google Calendar for school:
1. Create a Gmail account (if you don’t have one).
2. Go to Google Calendar and sign in with your Google Account.
3. Click on Create a new Calendar under drop down menu next to My Calendar.
4. Add Calendar Name (1), Description (2), select Make this Calendar public (if you want to embed into a website) (3) and click Create Calendar (4).
5. When you see “Warning: Making your calendar public will make all events visible to the world, including via Google Search. Are you sure? ” you need to click Yes (if you want to embed in a website otherwise your students and parents won’t be able to view the calendar).
- Alternatively, if you just want to share with specific people you add their email addresses and the press Save.
6. If you expand the My Calendar menu you will now see your new calendar has been created.
7. Now just click on Create to add an event to your Calendar.
8. Add event title (1), date and time (2), Where (3), select your calendar (4) from the Calendar drop down menu (in our example it is Important Class dates), add a description and click Save (5).
9. Your event will now be added to your Calendar. You repeat this process to add events to your Calendar.
- Remember you can add and delete events from your Google Calendar at any time.
- All you need to do is log into your Google Calendar and update your events.
10. You edit an event by clicking on the name of the event. This opens the event in Edit mode where you just update the details then click Save.