When I started out creating accounts online my username was dswaters which seemed like a good idea at the time but now I prefer being known by my name Sue Waters. Fortunately I have the option on my blog to change the name that is displayed when I post articles and write comments.
Importance of Developing Your Online Identity
Developing your own unique identity is an important part of being online which we don’t always appreciate when we first start setting up our online accounts. Having the one online identity across all your accounts makes it easier for others to connect and relate to you.
When starting out we often feel nervous about using our own identity but there are many long term benefits. Read Vicki Davis’s advice to educators on the value of using their own identity (take the time to read the comments also).
How To Change Your Display Name
This will change the name that is displayed on your posts and comments your write on Edublogs blogs.
- On your blog dashboard, go to Users > Your Profile
- Scroll down to Nickname and add your preferred name.
- Scroll to bottom of Your Profile and click on Update Profile.
- Now scroll down to Display name publicly as and click on the drop down arrow then select your preferred name
- Click on Update Profile at bottom of Your Profile page
How To Set Up Your Comment Avatar
Personal connection is important for readers — adding your photo means others now know more about who you are i.e. they can visualise you.
With Edublogs you can add your photo which will be displayed whenever you write a comment on someone else’s Edublogs blog.
- On your blog dashboard, go to Users > Your Avatar
- Scroll down to Browse and locate your photo from your computer to upload then click on Open.
- Now on Upload Image
Wish all online tools allowed us to change our display names :(.
What are your thoughts about online identity?
If you are enjoying reading this blog, please consider Subscribing For Free!