Spam commenters driving you currently crazy?
You’re not alone — and lots of people have been asking me for advice lately.
So let’s first talk a little on the WHAT and then on ‘the how to deal with them’.
What Are Spam Commenters?
The main reason why people write spam comments is to provide links to promote their web site(s).
Common spamming techniques include:
1. Creating pingbacks to blog post
2. Adding links to their web site in the comment and/or the URL
Easiest option is to use Comment Blacklist or Comment Moderation
It’s as simple as:
1. Go to Settings > Discussion
2. Add the spammer’s URL, email address, IP address or word(s) commonly used to the Comment Blacklist field or Comment Moderation field
- If you are concerned genuine comments might be blocked you use the Comment Moderation Field
For example, IP address 184.108.40.206, their website and/or car details such as Acura or radiator would work for this comment spam
And it might look like this:
3. Click Save Changes at bottom of page
Now any pingback that contain any of these words in its content, name, URL, e-mail, or IP is automatically:
- Held in your moderation queue (if you used comment moderation) – where you can decide if to approve or delete them.
- Marked as spam and you won’t receive an email notification (if you used comment blacklist)
Alternatively you could also use Akismet – here’s instructions for setting up and configuring Akismet!
If you are enjoying reading this blog, please consider Subscribing For Free!