Email subscription is a ‘must have’ widget on blogs.
Why? Because visiting blog to check for new content is time consuming.
Email is extremely important for:
- Readers who prefer to receive latest posts using email subscription
- Private blogs — these don’t have RSS feed because only logged in users or logged in registered users are allowed to view the content
There are three main options for adding email subscription to your blog:
- Feedburner email subscription – all blog users except private blogs
- Email Subscription Widget – Edublogs supporters only
- Subscribe2 email subscription- Edublogs Campus only
Feedburner is one of the most common free services used by both bloggers and podcasters to manage their RSS feeds.
It’s popular because it provides bloggers with the ability to easily analyze their subscribers in terms of:
- how many subscribe by RSS
- which feed readers they use
- how many subscribe by email.
Your email subscribers are sent an email of your full post that day after it is posted.
Setting up a Feedburner email subscription is as simple as:
- Step 1: Creating a Feedburner RSS Feed For Your Blog
- Step 2: Adding the Feedburner Email Subscription to Your Blog
- Step 3: Redirecting all your feed through Feedburner
Email Subscription Widget
The email subscription widget is the fastest and easiest way of adding email subscription to your blog. It sends an email immediately when the post is published.
Readers click on the link in the email which takes them to the post on your blog.
Just go to Appearance > Widgets and drag the email subscription widget into the desired sidebar.
Subscribe2 Email Subscription
Subscribe2 is the most sophisticated email option with lots of management choices for both readers and the blog owner.
Email notifications can be either:
- Latest posts
- Daily or weekly digest of posts
- Plain Text – Excerpt; Plain Text – Full Post or HTML – Full Post
Bloggers can monitor their email subscriber; easily adding and removing subscribers inside their blog dashboard.
Subscribe 2 also provides the ability to send out emails to all confirmed subscribers; for those occasions when you want to send an email but not write a post.
Setting up a Subscribe email subscription is as simple as:
If you are enjoying reading this blog, please consider Subscribing For Free!